-
March 29th, 2004, 06:27 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hey All,
This might sound like a silly question but , I was wondering if anyone has had experinece shooting projected Super 8 images off a projection screen. I'm looking for a grainy/ degraded image quality so that's not an issue. I am specifically wondering about light- if the projection light alone is suffficient. I'm not looking to emulate a trasfer- I will be experimenting
-
March 31st, 2004, 01:39 AM
#2
Inactive Member
It's not uncommon to transfer film to video trough projection, but that was not your question... I have heard about "wall projections" and have also thought about that my self... it's the same thing that if you apply a what-ever-the-name-is -filter in photoshop. Sounds interesting...
Are you gonna shoot it on film or on video? I guess it all depends on your camera and how much light does it need. But you can always test it before shooting and remember to do it in really dark room to not to loose any contrast. Just go for it. What kind of wall you are thinking? I once heard about someone projecting on a roughly painted wall wich had also different shades of color. I think it was an art-project in a school or something, but like I said ...go for it, sounds interesting!
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ March 30, 2004 09:41 PM: Message edited by: bigmasi ]</font>
-
March 31st, 2004, 09:34 PM
#3
Inactive Member
I've been working with super 8 to mini-dv transfer and I discovered by accident that if you project on to a piece of paper you get a pretty grainy image, depending on the grain of the paper. This works best when the projected frame is about 5 inches tall and the paper isn't too thick. You might also want to experiment with different types of glass. I film the projected image from behind so there are no weird angles. this way the image is reversed, but if you project in to a mirror at a 45 degree angle to the projector and keep the screen perpendicular to the projector this problem is solved.
that's just my 2 cents anyway.
-
April 1st, 2004, 07:25 PM
#4
Inactive Member
I'm actually shooting on Super 8 so yes I'm transferring I guess but back onto film for a heavy grain quality- what about the lighting though?
-
April 2nd, 2004, 02:44 AM
#5
Inactive Member
I think... the smaller the size of the projection
--> less light needed. Shoot it on ektachrome to get more grain (faster film) and keep the size of the projected image small and you shouldn't have problems with the light. See what the lightmeter on your camera says..?
an idea... maybe you can try the (I don't know what they call it in english) paper that you use in the owen. The one that is a little bit transparent?? ...just an idea?
<font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 01, 2004 10:47 PM: Message edited by: bigmasi ]</font>
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks